Guest Post from the My Dog Ate My Homework Blog

Aimlow.com is very proud to present a guest column from the My Dog Ate My Homework Blog

Lowest Aim Possible: Reality TV

Earlier this year, a casting call went out on Craigslist to find people to participate in a reality show focusing on “rich, wealthy, hipster GUYS and GIRLS 21-30 whose personal style is homeless chic.” When I saw this, all I could think of was television producers looking to turn a mirror on everyone I knew who was watching Jersey Shore religiously. I thought of how much they’d enjoy being part of a television show about being violent alcoholics who, when they don’t get to have sex, start hitting and breaking things. I wondered how I’d act were I cast on a reality show, and if everyone I know would play the part of a violent, destructive alcoholic because that’s the role that reality television seems to want more than any other. It’s pretty low.

For television executives and producers, reality television is easy. It began to take shape as we know it now in the wake of a Writers Guild of America strike in 1988 that produced COPS and a handful of other shows. MTV developed The Real World and Road Rules within a few years, and America’s Funniest Home Videos took off in the late 1980s as well. The format had early potential because it was, at least in some cases, unscripted, meaning that writers could be cut out of the system that produces television shows (though many contemporary reality shows are, of course, scripted and designed to produce a very specific response and sequence of events, and there have been tricky legal issues surrounding those writers’ status in the wake of the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike).

Survivor and Big Brother’s successes led to the explosion of reality television that we now come to expect of the genre. While Survivor was at least a game show, Big Brother had little going for it other than the prospect of watching people. Of course, both produced celebrities. Last year’s smash Jersey Shore turned most of its cast into famous people, and also changed the dynamic; unlike MTV’s other reality shows, Jersey Shore became about a group of people, not about the place, and so the show’s second season – despite taking place in Florida – revolved not around new young people but around Mike “The Situation,” Snooki, and company (who successfully pushed for considerably higher wages for this season). They saw TV as an opportunity to become famous, then did it.

By design, reality programming is base, but certain things doubly confirm this, like Fox’s Man Vs. Beast special or VH1’s Flavor of Love and Rock of Love. MTV’s A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila series culminated in the winning contestant being unable to actually receive Tila’s phone number from anyone and nothing at all happening. For everyone involved except the viewers, it’s a quick cash-in, a route to fame for those who only exist to promote themselves. But viewers see that, say “I could do that!” and contribute to a vicious cycle (see the casting call mentioned above).

A. Hall is a guest blogger for My Dog Ate My Blog and a writer on masters in social work online for Guide to Online Schools.

27 Responses to Guest Post from the My Dog Ate My Homework Blog

1. Regina says:

“My dog ate my homework” is an age old cliche but it comes from the fact that dogs, at least my dogs, love to eat paper. So, if the homework is on paper and if it’s within their reach; there is no reason why they wouldn’t eat it.

The other day I came back from a conference where I collected a whole bunch of business cards from various associates, etc. When unpacking, I stupidly enough left the entire stack of business cards which I intended to file away for future use, on the floor outside my travel bag. Before long, I noticed that my dog is munching on the cards. When I tried to pry them out of his mouth, he ran off with dozens of them!

So, yes! My dog ate my homework!

2. sdfsdgfd says:

I just book marked your blog on Digg and StumbleUpon.I enjoy reading your commentaries.

3. Inelietle says:

Supply Chanel Beldam Online Store.A series of come into being and summer of 2012 Chanel bag fully of undying creativity of Chanel sale.All Chanel Bag And Money-bag First-rate Calibre Reduction Amount,Unused Shipping!
    [url=http://www.chanelnewjp.com/]シャネル[/url]
    [url=http://www.chanelnewjp.com/]シャネル バック[/url]
    [url=http://www.chanelnewjp.com/]シャネル 財布[/url]
    シャネル : http://www.chanelnewjp.com/

4. Undocland says:

Online ordering within reach! ?la mode Omega Seamaster and Cartier watches from Rolex look after outlets with reasonable prices, biggest range and unoccupied performance! Enjoy 35% Off. We oath the authenticity of every ingredient we sell.
    [url=http://www.watchesshopjp.com/]オメガ シーマスター[/url]
    [url=http://www.watchesshopjp.com/]カルティエ 時計[/url]
    [url=http://www.watchesshopjp.com/]ロレックス 時計[/url]
    ロレックス 時計 : http://www.watchesshopjp.com/

5. wrerneHaurb says:

Hi there, just turned into aware of your weblog through Google, and found that it’s really informative nfl jersey cheap . I’m gonna be careful for brussels Boot Slippers . I will be grateful if you happen to proceed this in future the north face coupons . A lot of folks will likely be benefited from your writing Ugg Kensington . Cheers! customized nfl jerseys ugg boots sale uk

6. I found the perfect place for my needs. Contains wonderful and useful messages. I have read most of them and has a lot of them.
    harga cmp penurun berat badan

7. Many intresting posts on this site. I`ll add it to favorites

8. Hey, I like this post. I think the same.

9. test name says:

Thanks for another informative web site. Where else may just I am getting that type of info written in such a perfect way? I’ve a project that I am simply now working on, and I’ve been on the glance out for such information.

10. house plants says:

It is actually a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

11. I wish to convey my respect for your generosity for all those that have the need for assistance with your issue. Your very own dedication to passing the solution all over became extremely beneficial and has usually made most people much like me to attain their pursuits. Your new interesting guideline can mean a great deal to me and still more to my mates. Thanks a lot; from all of us.

12. You made some first rate points there pskodysn. I regarded on the web for the issue and located most people will go along with along with your website.

13. Wow, this post is good, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am going to let know her.|

14. My wife and i ended up being absolutely thrilled Louis could conclude his researching from the ideas he got using your web pages. It’s not at all simplistic just to be giving for free concepts people could have been making money from. We really realize we’ve got the writer to be grateful to for that. The entire illustrations you’ve made, the straightforward website menu, the friendships you make it possible to engender – it is everything spectacular, and it’s really leading our son in addition to the family believe that this idea is enjoyable, and that’s quite mandatory. Thanks for the whole thing!

15. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great web site.

16. Can I just say what a comfort to uncover someone who actually understands what they’re discussing on the internet. You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people have to check this out and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you aren’t more popular because you certainly possess the gift.|

17. ElianaNLuoto says:

I’m extremely impressed together with your writing abilities as well
    as with the layout for your personal blog.
    Is this a paid topic or would you modify it your self?
    Anyway stay within the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to
    check a great blog this way one nowadays..

my webpage – ElianaNLuoto

18. mechanical bucking bull hire melbourne

19. magnificent points altogether, you simply gained a logo new reader. What might you recommend about your put up that you simply made a few days ago? Any certain?

20. This really answered my downside, thanks!

21. Polly Baas says:

Undeniably believe that that you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the net the easiest factor to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about issues that they just don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly as defined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other folks could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

22. New says:

Pure mineralized water is the important to good well being. KDS: In tai chi there are 3 factors of energy. Choose for workouts that do not have adverse influence on your joints.

23. Nota: Este epígrafe comprende la fabricación de vidrio hueco por procedimientos automáticos, semiautomáticos manuales y abarca la fabricación de envases de vidrio; de servicio de mesa y otros objetos domésticos de vidrio no prensado; fabricación de vidrio prensado y otras fabricaciones de vidrio hueco. Epígrafe 247.4.- Fabricación de vajillas, artículos del hogar y objetos de adorno, de material cerámico. Nota: Este epígrafe comprende la fabricación de aparatos higiénicos y sanitarios de todas clases en gres, loza y porcelana. Epígrafe 247.6.- Fabricación de aisladores y piezas aislantes de material cerámico para instalaciones eléctricas.

24. Nan Struzzi says:

12/23/2016 @ 18:40:05 In my estimation, aimlow.com does a excellent job of covering topics of this sort. While frequently intentionally polemic, the material posted is more often than not thoughtful and thought-provoking.